We've upgraded to phpBB3 and got own domain

We've upgraded to phpBB3 and got own domain

Postby Nightwatch on 28 Nov 2008 14:16

Hey Guys,

We've moved from phpBB2.02 to the most recent and feature filled upgrade of phpBB3.03.

It was not just a simple upgrade patch operation, it involved establishing a new standalone Forum based on phpBB3, as it is not possible to upgrade version 2 into version 3. It is a completely different software and protocols, everything.

After the installation of phpBB3 on a separate root and with a separate domain (this new one: stalkermod.net as opposed to the old one: gamerspedia.net/stalkermod) then I had, with great anxiety and fear :) started to conversion by the phpBB offered "converter."

In the middle of the operation, converted started insisting on claiming not being able to see the old board, although the correct path had been given and the old board actually sitting next to it. :mozilla_undecided: Well, after a long googling around and noticing that hundreds of people had suffered from the same problem, I found a cure from someone (thanks to TreeSprite :thumbright: ) from phpBB forums.

We have 11 templates now, from which you can choose to view to board. I may inactivate some of the never used styles later, weeks later. I had put another 200 smileys, but during the conversion, they look like overwritten. I'll put them back on.

Some of the templates carry the signatures of their designers, they are offered FREE by phpBB board and we are "allowed" to remove those signatures of course, and replace them with our own ones. I'm starting to it now. :)

Well, I'm learning the full features of this board as we speak, and let you know if some features that may need to mention, though I believe many things would be quite self-explanatory for us all.

Enjoy your newly upgraded forum.

Thanks.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Re: We've upgraded to phpBB3 and got own domain

Postby natasha8384 on 30 Nov 2008 20:52

The new site looks great (the conversion must have been a pain) and the site deserves its own domain :thumbright: . Anywho, great job!
natasha8384
Senior Resident

Re: We've upgraded to phpBB3 and got own domain

Postby Nightwatch on 30 Nov 2008 22:28

natasha8384 wrote:The new site looks great (the conversion must have been a pain) and the site deserves its own domain :thumbright: . Anywho, great job!

Thank you, natasha8384,I really appreciate it. :thumbright: My biggest fear was the possibility that the Hosting Company servers would time-out in the middle of the conversion and transfer of data. I guess it was a lucky time slot. :)
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Return to Announcements & News