100 Rads Bar... Home of the Off-Topic Topics!

Subjects with Humorous Touch

Postby audioave10 on 20 Sep 2008 04:02

NIGHTWATCH...the first person to hit 100 posts!
Wait a minute...this is HIS forum...I need a drink. :geek:

Edit: I'm also waiting for this modable game Oct. 28th:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/ ... een001.jpg
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby fatrap on 20 Sep 2008 10:22

Well, the avatar that I'm using is an unusual one.... it is a photo of a very special medal given to the participants of the clean-up at Chernobyl. For an article about it see this link:

http://collectinghistory.net/chernobyl/index.html

I am using it as a memorial / tribute to the folks that earned it the hard way. I was fortunate enough to meet a gentleman a while back whose father was involved in the clean-up.... (a "liquidator").... he is still alive and doing well! He drove one of the dump trucks that hauled off the debris.... what a job!

EDIT: UPDATE!! Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have switched avatars from the Chernobyl Medal to a photo of a chainsaw.... the folks that know me well will understand! :D
Last edited by fatrap on 21 Sep 2008 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 20 Sep 2008 11:35

fatrap wrote: He drove one of the dump trucks that hauled off the debris.... what a job!

Thats rough. Does anyone know what was SU-s real motive to relocate all those people who lived there?
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby rockingmtranch on 20 Sep 2008 15:54

That's quite the history that goes along with that medal Fatrap. Thanks.
LINUX! Don't fight it. You will be assimilated!
----------------
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd ACR, Fort Polk, LA
rockingmtranch

Postby EggChen on 20 Sep 2008 18:29

NatVac wrote:EggChen, have you seen anything on the "Fork Particle" particle editor? It was linked in "How to FORK a particle" at the Inquirer.

Nope, had not heard about it or seen anything on it before.

Had a quick look and it doesn't seem to be the technology used by GSC.... from what I can tell that is an integral part of the Stalker engine, and not third party software.

I should explain, I have no real skill or background in particle effects! My "messing around with particles" in Stalker was born like so many other mods, from dissapointment in the vanilla game. My first tweak was simply to double a few values for every bullet impact, it had very little skill about it :D

As for Farcry and Farcry 2, well first off Natvac if you have the time I would suggest Farcry is still worth a blast. I replayed it a number of times as although each level had a start and an end like many linear shooters, your approach could be varied in so many ways.

Farcry 2 looks stunning, after reading the review in full today and watching a few videos, I see it has some small problems. However, they are very small indeed to anyone who played Stalker as much as any of us :lol:

Put it this way, "respawning enemies" in camps was one of the listed gripes! Having to kill them again was the second listed gripe.

Sound familiar?

Edit: That makes interesting reading Fatrap particularly how the award was made by a factory with a number instead of a name, usually a sign it was a military installation rather than civilian.

I vaguely remember the incident happening from when I was a kid, radiation was detected as far as the UK, and even now our Government shy away from building nuclear power plants and solving the imminent energy crisis facing this country, probably partly due to the legacy of this event.
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 20 Sep 2008 23:57

Guys, do not worry if you see some smiley changes for a couple minutes, I'm making some editing/adding, that's an under control process. As I'm doing it online, you may experience some irregular smiley patterns for few minutes, nothing to worry about. :bounce:

OK it's finished. NOW WE HAVE MANY (really many) MORE SMILEYS :cheers:
Last edited by Nightwatch on 21 Sep 2008 01:33, edited 3 times in total.
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby fatrap on 21 Sep 2008 00:40

Hey EggChen!!! Whadda ya think of this avatar????? :D
fatrap
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Sep 2008 01:15

fatrap wrote:Hey EggChen!!! Whadda ya think of this avatar????? :D

Hope Nightwatch doesn't tell me off for this....

That avatar fucking suits you down to the ground buddy!!!

:rr: My new favourite smiley....
EggChen

Postby Nightwatch on 21 Sep 2008 01:24

EggChen wrote:

Hope Nightwatch doesn't tell me off for this....

That avatar fucking suits you down to the ground buddy!!!

:rr: My new favourite smiley....

I'm glad you've liked the new avatars. :happy3: :walk:

I need to count them maybe, but the reservoir now stands for over 300 smileys, even after some editing/deleting.

fatrap: very good avatar :thumbleft:

EDIT: EggChen Just saw your new avatar, another nice one :thumbup:
Nightwatch
Site Admin

Postby Verton23 on 21 Sep 2008 06:34

Hey how about my avatar. :bom: I didn't have avatar in GSC site, found it difficult to have it uploaded. (not that they were not helpful, but it was a long work) Thanks Nightwatch, it's done in a jiffy here :thumbleft:

(edit: panda is holding a chain gun, if not quickly noticeable on the photo. Man I suck in photography)
Verton23
Senior Resident

Postby Clay65 on 21 Sep 2008 07:57

Finally You got "THE REAL" Fatrap's avatar !!!
:happy1:
Clay65
Senior Resident

Postby DARK TEMPLAR on 21 Sep 2008 14:31

Can anyone sugest a good place where i can upload pictures and word doc-s
THE DEDICATED, CERTIFIED RESIDENT MADMAN
There is no such thing as innocence in the ZONE, only degrees of guilt.
CAN YOU FEEL THE TRANQUILLITY OF THE ZONE
Knowledge is power. Guard it well.
We are shaped by fate, just as we shape it
You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die.
Akir man yamut malak al-mut
DARK TEMPLAR
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Sep 2008 14:37

DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Can anyone sugest a good place where i can upload pictures and word doc-s

I tend to use mediafire for hosting files, fairly quick, no stupid authentication codes, and on download you get one popup advert window, nothing serious!!

http://www.mediafire.com/

As for pictures, I use imageshack, but it is getting slower everytime, so any suggestions for that would be welcome!!
EggChen

Postby Clay65 on 21 Sep 2008 16:50

EggChen wrote:
DARK TEMPLAR wrote:Can anyone sugest a good place where i can upload pictures and word doc-s

I tend to use mediafire for hosting files, fairly quick, no stupid authentication codes, and on download you get one popup advert window, nothing serious!!

http://www.mediafire.com/

As for pictures, I use imageshack, but it is getting slower everytime, so any suggestions for that would be welcome!!

I often use Mediafire too, and its Image Gallery is not so bad.
It even have the option to create a link for a resized thumbnail for what you need...

Clay
Clay65
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Sep 2008 17:46

I didn't know it had image options... lets see....

Edit: Cool, thanks again Clay, guess I can give Imageshack the :thefinger:
EggChen

Postby audioave10 on 21 Sep 2008 18:00

Hey EggChen...that's one bad dude in your avatar.
:laughing3:
"Let the Zone take me if I am"
audioave10
Senior Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Sep 2008 18:12

audioave10 wrote:Hey EggChen...that's one bad dude in your avatar.

I think he is related to one of these guys....

EggChen

Postby NatVac on 21 Sep 2008 20:39

fatrap, that chainsaw is a perfect fit!

EggChen, thanks for the advice on Far Cry. I'm planning on playing it eventually, after the official ZRP release (yes, that's still planned) and playing some of the STALKER mods. I've got a few games backlogged...

The effects looked similar that I thought the STALKER particle stuff might use the Fork Particle toolkit. Thanks for the feedback.

Guys, MediaFire is not for me. I've only had a couple of DEP (Data Execution Prevention) exceptions in Firefox, and one of them was from an ad on MediaFire when I disabled my proxy (which MediaFire despises). Since these exceptions usually occur when malware is attempting to exploit a buffer overrun, I am suspicious of the advertisers they allow.

That said, I have no good alternative to offer on the image front, save to mention that the PhotoBucket links seem fast enough.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
While I'm here, a related off-topic :protest: personal opinion rant:

I'm against deceptive control by product suppliers. I vote with my consumer feet. If the product has any invasive DRM, I don't buy it even if I would otherwise want it. I also don't obtain it in any other way; I simiply do without. This means there are quite a few games I'm not getting.

But it means I don't have to put up with software that runs even when the game doesn't. One negative thing for me is StarForce; if a dev uses it, I'm not buying their product. I probably would not have bought STALKER had I known the maker of the game was using it on their own folks, no matter how justified it is in view of the rampant piracy there. I bought STALKER because it had NO DRM in the THQ NA version.

Likewise, if a website uses funky Javascript tricks like rewriting DOM variables on the fly, my paranoia flags pop up and block my vision. If they do that, I don't go there after I find out. The same goes for other tricks to protect their intellectual property -- which is their right, until it invades my PC and interferes with its use. So I just won't use their property at all.
NatVac
Resident

Postby EggChen on 21 Sep 2008 21:10

Well I'm with you on that rant Natvac though I can't profess to be as strict as I should be with myself sometimes!!

I just found out that FarCry 2 includes in game advertising, now that wouldn't bother me as such on a free game supported by ads, but if I am buying something I don't expect to be plagued by ads either. Now I really want that game, so here comes the lack of willpower part, if I can find that the game can be played purely offline with no ads, I will buy it.

On a slightly related rant, something that really bugs me, I don't know if you US guys get this over there. Often when you buy a DVD here, you get a trailer that plays before the film, that promotes buying the film over piracy.

Well it bugs me everytime I get that, I bought it and I have to sit through a lecture on piracy. I doubt very much that pirates include that trailer on their copies of the DVD, so what is the point other than annoying honest customers.

Anyway, it makes you start to consider piracy when they get a "cleaner" copy of the DVD. Back related to computer software, honest folks have to put up with things like Bioshock's protection system, or Mass Effect's, pirates have no such bother with online validation or copyright protection software that is basically spyware by any other name.

Shit Natvac you got me going, I think I should cut back on the :coffee2:
EggChen

PreviousNext

Return to Bar in the Zone